Author Topic: Producing large quantities of live foods by Don Greig  (Read 2460 times)

azkillie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Producing large quantities of live foods by Don Greig
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
Drosophila Media  (The media is from the Encyclopedia of Live Foods by Masters.)
Use1 heaping tsp agar mixed in 1 and 1/2 pints of water. Boil for 5 minutes. Add 2 heaping Tbs. of yellow corn meal, 4 Tbs. Karo and 3 and 1/2 Tbs. dark molasses, stir well. I modify this mixture by adding 1/2 cup dried yeast ( this you get at the health food store in bulk. This not active yeast, but dried brewers yeast.) 1 tsp Moldex (dissolved in 150 proof alcohol) and some orange food color. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Fill bottles to a level of to3/4 and insert file folder paper. The file folder paper is also soaked in dissolved moldex solution (saturated). After the bottles are set-up and cooled, I sprinkle some active yeast on the surface of the mix. Inoculate with about 50 flies. When you see larva, feed all the flies. Snapple bottles with a filter floss stopper seem to work the best.

Microworm media
You will notice that the worms will have a yellow color using this method.
Make a mixture using 2 parts Gerber oat meal and 1 part dried yeast (this you get at the health food store in bulk.) To keep the culture from stinking; collect worms that have climbed up the side of the container with a q-tip. Rinse the q-tip with a small amount of water and use this water to make a paste of the mixture. Check the texture of the paste after ten minutes and adjust the texture. You should have worms climbing up the side of the container with in a few days. If the culture gets watery; add some dried yeast or oat meal to thicken it up.

Grindal Worms  (This is the method developed by Howard Gibbs)
Obtain a plastic bucket with a lid. Drill holes about 1 from the inside bottom of the bucket . Fill to a depth of 5 with a mixture of sterilized garden loam and peat. Wet the mixture and allow it to drain. Obtain some plastic netting (carpet backing works very well). Cut the netting to fit over the soil and anchor it. Get a glass circle that is about 1 less in diameter of the bucket at the top of the soil. Glue a handle on to the glass.

Note: This seems like a lot of work but the set up will last many years if you are careful.
Inoculate with worms. Sprinkle a very light layer of food on the surface of the soil. (The worms should consume all the food within a day.) Place the glass over the surface. Once the worms have become well established, they will collect on the bottom surface of the glass. They are easily removed with a turkey baster of water. Feed, replace the glass and cover.

Paramecium Culture
I like to use wide mouth gallon glass jars for my cultures. Fill the jar to the bottom of the neck with conditioned water at a ph of about 7.5. Add a small piece of dried corn husk, that has been boiled. Inoculate with Paramecium and add a few drops of Liquifry No 1. To keep the culture hot (about 1000 per ml) add a few drops of Liquifry every few days.

R19en

• View Profile
Producing large quantities of live foods by Don
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this info, Jase, good stuff.

I also think a live foods subforum would rock